Hopped into the van this morning headed to Kamview for the 10k continuous pursuit at Kamview Nordic Ski Centre, and what was the first song pumping through the speakers, my fav "Rollin with Heat" by The Roots- featuring Talib Kweli. I knew the day had started in a good direction. Everyone had planned to race, except Jesse who is on the edge of something so with only a week before nationals it's always better to be safe than sorry.
Chris, Pate, Thomsen, Mike, and I along with the Thunder Bay boys of Steevfe Hart, Luke V., and Chris Ham to name a few, headed out on our first leg of 5k classic. Chris hammered the first leg, Steefe sitting comfortably in his draft, and the rest of us holding on, hoping not to blow up. My skis were fast opting for less grip as it was a fairly flat course, there were rumours that some people were going to attempt to do the classic portion on skate skis, none followed through.
Timo, annililated a crossing chipmunk, poory little feller, scooted just past me, but took the brunt of the Fins weight behind me. Timo took the glory of having the fastest classic time putting on a solid push coming into the stadium and transition area. Butler and I out of the front group were out of the transition first putting a little gap on the field, I let him know by chirpping, but Butler opted to settle into a solid groove before hitting the Upper Cut, a solid climb at Kamview. The lead group was now Chris, myself, Steevfe, and Somppi, with Timo and Pate in the chase group.
Chris pushed the tempo up a smaller hill, dropping the failing Somppi, to our frustration, he immeidately caught back up on the pursuiing donwhill, again the the so called 'hibbies'- Peltonens were running well. The final downhill lead me slowly past Chris with Sompii and his 'hibbies' on my heels, I pushed hard into the finishing stretch not really know how I was going to outlast them in a sprint. Rounded the final corner, and opened the throttle up. Edging out Somppi in a long legged lunge, with Steevfe a boot length behind, and Chris crossing right after. I won!
5th was Timo, 6th Pate, 7th Luke, 8th Thomsen. Awesome fun, again Peter Crooks at Kamview had the course immaculate, and Bert V and the volunteers put together a solid race.
Special thanks to Chris Butler for putting down a punishing pace and leading for the majority of the race. Somppi and I were pleased, as this is a good sign going into nationals next week.
Thanks again, hope you enjoyed the race.
Phil
also had an interview with the local t.v station, I don't recommend tuning in, flushed and out of breath I didn't have much to say.
0 comments:
Post a Comment