It was nice to be home for a week after the heckit rush of Christmas, and the stress and disappoint of trials. I was able to get into see two specialist in Orangeville that one of my sponsors “Everybody SKIS” Gord Salt lined up for me. Dr. Mike Shuman, athletic therapist and Osteopath, he adusted me similar to a Chiropractor but with some different techniques. He also worked on the position of my kidneys and intestines with massage. It was a really neat experience, and with the knowledge that he has about the human body and physiology I was able to pick his brains about energy systems and performance. Thanks Mike for making the time to see me and giving me your advice.
The second was Dr. Wendy Davis at Hamony Health, a Naturopath. She had some interesting thoughts on my decreased performance and lagging energy levels. She talked about an adrenal fatigue (adrenal glands working overtime and become exhausted). Some tell tale signs are, low energy, spins or dizziness upon standing with relatively normal blood pressure at resting state, high acidity of pH, muscle tension, and trouble sleeping. I have been measuring my pH in the mornings and evenings to give her an idea of the acidity of my internal system and to see if that leads to any clues that can help her identify some specific areas in my nutrition that I can work on. Overall she had some really good ideas and I’m excited to see and feel some of the results from changing some pretty basic stuff in my every day to day things. Thanks Dr. Wendy for identifying some areas for me to improve on in my nutrition.
I highly suggest any of you athletes that are in the Southern Ontario region to line up an appointment to see these two specialists, they exceeded my expectations and really appreciated and understood the demands of an athlete along with trying to help improve overall health.
Thanks again Gord for lining these appointments up for me.
As for this week, we have traveled to Duluth, Minnesota to race on Wednesday in some sprints, then onto Telemark, Wisconsin for some distance races this weekend. I’ll try to get up some race results with some thoughts.
Also make sure to keep your eyes peeled this week as the World Cups are being held in Canmore, Tuesday (pursuit), Wed (classic sprints), Friday (distance skate), Sat. (skate sprints). Some of our teammates are racing in these races and we wish them all the best. Results will be posted on FIS-ski.com with coverage shown on eurosport.com (most likely, perhaps live, mtn time) or cbcsports.ca or cbccountrycanada.ca.
0 comments:
Post a Comment