About Me

Sweet, I'm Back and ready to rip.

Phil

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

What to do...what to do

Traveled to the nation's capital this weekend for two races, a skate sprint and a classic 30k. I decided not to race the sprints. The classic race was on a balmy Sunday morning. The snow was warming fast which meant finding grip was a tough chore for our wax technicians. We started the race and I knew right away my triceps were in for a haul doing most of the work double polling.

I wanted to quit after the first lap of 7.5k and I convinced myself to at least make it through to the 15k mark and then you could drop out after that. I rolled around the 15k mark and struggled with the decision to quit or to keep going. It was an ongoing battle to quit from probably the 5k mark. I finished the race, in 23rd position, 11 minutes back of the leader. That's no way to ski a race, fighting with the decision to quit.

I was very pleased with myself that I didn't quit, and that I kept with it after I started it. It didn't make my results, or feelings of the race any easier to deal with.

I'm back up in Thunder Bay for a while, until Nationals near the end of March. I quess the next question is whether to stay low and get some rest, or to grab some quality training over the next couple weeks and try to get into some racing shape.

0 comments: